Industry: Petrochemicals (USA/Africa)
Employee Role: Security Manager in desert environment. Responsible for safety of others. Site open to attack by terrorists. Previously, employee had been certified as Fit for Duty by his personal GP
- Independent OH periodic Fitness for Duty medical carried out
- BMI (Body Mass Index) 51, high blood pressure and blood abnormalities
Risks to employee:
- High risk of heart attack, Long term/permanent incapacity, inability to earn future salary
Risks to employer:
- Unable to carry out duties
- Cost of medical evacuation
- Failure of responsibility to provide safety systems for other employees
- Employee suspended and managed via 12 week programme to control blood and weight issues.
- Employee able to return to duties with temporary Fitness for Work certificate which is renewed subject to health condition improving
- 5 years later, employee has much improved health with a reduced BMI.